General phone number: +27 (0)21 361 0298
General inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Press inquiries: Darsha Indrajith, +27 (0)73 217 4903, email@example.com
- Social Justice Coalition
- Isivivana Centre, 2nd floor
- 8 Mzala Street
- Khayelitsha 7784
Job Advert: Senior Researcher
The Social Justice Coalition (SJC) is a democratic, mass-based social movement that campaigns for the advancement of the constitutional rights to life, dignity, equality, freedom and safety for all people, but especially those living in informal settlements across South Africa.
SJC seeks to employ a Researcher, based in Cape Town. The Researcher will be based within SJC’s Programmes focusing on issues of policing, safety and access to services in informal settlements. This is a full-time position.
Start date: Immediately
• Conduct evidence-based research and undertake various types of applied primary and secondary research
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the SJC’s campaign strategy and policy positions
• Track relevant local, provincial, and national legislation and policy;
• Produce press and media outputs,
• Develop relevant campaign material for SJC members and activists
• Build relationships and undertaking strategic engagement with allies in both civil society and the state
• Conduct seminars, workshops, and events in support of activists both within and outside of the SJC
• Undertake logistical and organisational support for the programme where required
• A commitment to social justice
• High level research and writing skills
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field e.g. politics, law, etc. (a post-graduate degree is advantageous)
• Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and produce applied research
• Analytical skills and ability to rapidly pull together complex information
• Adaptable and flexible during pressurised times
• Communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Experience working with activist organisations and social movements advantageous
To apply, submit your CV and a one-page motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 March 2018.
The SJC does not assist with relocation for candidates living outside the Western Cape.
Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.
To inquire about internships for 2018, please contact Siham Surve, email@example.com